Virtual Tour of Residence Halls
Situated in the heart of campus, Harper/Elliott is a coed, apartment-style residence hall. Built in 1837, Harper was constructed to accommodate increased enrollment and then used as a hospital when the classes were temporarily suspended in March 1862. Built in 1848, Elliott was the first of the historic buildings to undergo extensive remodeling during the Horseshoe Restoration Program in the 1970's.
In 2011, Harper/Elliott was renovated to include all new interior furnishings such as flooring, kitchen and bathroom cabinets, appliances and furniture. Each apartment also has a washer and dryer. The 48 residents of Harper/Elliott live in two- and three-bedroom units that feature a living room and full kitchen.
In 1918, women were allowed to live on campus for the first time since the Civil War diminished male enrollment. Located on the Horseshoe, a popular spot on campus, DeSaussure is a coed, apartment-style residence hall.
A renovation including all new interior furnishings such as flooring, kitchen and bathroom cabinets, appliances and furniture was completed in the summers of 2011 and 2012. Housing 45 residents, each two- and four-bedroom apartment in DeSaussure features a living room, full kitchen and washer and dryer.
Nestled among the oak trees on the historic Horseshoe, Pinckney/Legare is a coed, apartment-style residence hall. Built in 1837, Legare was named after Hugh Swinton Legare who served as attorney general of the United States. Ten years later, during an extensive building program to provide for increased enrollment, the Pinckney addition of Pinckney/Legare was added and named to honor the prominent Pinckney family of South Carolina.
Considered an honor to live on the historic Horseshoe, the 48 residents of Pinckney/Legare enjoy two- and four-bedroom apartments that feature a living room and kitchen.
Rutledge, located on the historic Horseshoe, is a coed, apartment-style residence hall. When South Carolina College first opened its doors in January 1805, this building was the entire college. It served as a dormitory, lecture hall, chapel, library, faculty housing and laboratories. The building was later named after John Rutledge who was elected governor of South Carolina is 1798.
This renovated antebellum residence hall features two- and four-bedroom apartments that a include living room and kitchen. The 47 students that live in Rutledge are surrounded by elegant oak trees, gardens and manicured grounds.
5 Preston Residential College
Preston Residential College is a suite-style, coed residence hall centrally located across the street from the Thomas Cooper Library. Modeled after the traditional residential colleges of Oxford and Cambridge, Preston Residential College adheres to the belief that sharing space, food, ideas and life makes for a more enriching and successful college experience.
Preston Residential College is home to 232 residents and a live-in faculty principal. Preston also has its own all-you-care-to-eat dining hall where residents can interact with each other and faculty members who serve as Preston associates.
Woodrow was built in 1914 and was the first residence hall on campus to have central heating. It also was used as a hospital during the influenza epidemic of 1918 when the university was quarantined.
A coed apartment-style residence hall, Woodrow is home to 102 students. Residents live in two- and three-bedroom apartments that include a bathroom, living room and full kitchen. Woodrow's residents can simply walk across Greene Street to get to the Russell House University Union and Thomas Cooper Library.
7 Honors Residence
Designed with sustainability in mind, Honors Residence opened in fall 2009 and earned Gold LEED certification. The building layout includes classrooms and faculty offices to support students in their academic pursuits.
Housing 537 residents, this coed, suite-style hall includes three wings that feature single- and double-occupancy rooms. There is also a common living room and study room for every twelve students throughout the residence hall. Building amenities include a community kitchen, game room, as well as an in-hall dining facility and coffee bar.
Located in central campus, McBryde is an all-male, traditional-style residence hall. Built in 1955, it was named after John McBryde who served as president of South Carolina College from 1882 to 1883 and again from 1888 to 1891.
McBryde was enhanced with new furnishings, carpet and paint in the summer of 2010. The 250 residents who call McBryde home are just a short walk from the Russell House University Union and Thomas Cooper Library.
9 South Quad
Offering students the best of community living while maintaining individual privacy, South Quad is an apartment-style residence hall located across from the Blatt P.E. Center. Built in 1996, it is home to 400 residents.
Featuring apartments with four private bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and kitchen, residents have the amenities of off-campus living, on campus. South Quad also has two classrooms, lounge space on the lower level and a laundry room.
10 West (Green) Quad
When West Quad opened in 2004, it was the largest sustainable residential complex on a university campus in the country. Since it was the first LEED certified project on the University of South Carolina's campus, West Quad helped to integrate sustainable practices not only for facilities management, but also in research, teaching and community service across the campus.
Also known as Green Quad, this residence hall houses 499 students. Each apartment features four private bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and kitchen. Building amenities include classrooms, study lounges and laundry rooms. The complex is also home to the Learning Center for Sustainable Futures which promotes collaborative relationships among students, faculty, staff and community members exploring ways to create a sustainable society.
11 Bates West
Bates West, built in 1974, is located behind the Blatt PE Center in the south area of campus. Bates West was the university's first coed residence hall and offers convenient parking to residents in the adjacent lot.
This coed apartment-style residence hall houses 387 students in two-bedroom apartments. Each apartment has four residents and includes a bathroom, living room and full kitchen. The residents of Bates West also enjoy the all-you-can-eat Bates Diner located next door.
12 Bates House
When Bates House opened in 1969, it pushed the boundary of residence hall design, incorporating a variety of arrangements and color schemes. This complex includes three 10-story towers and was named for Jeff Bates who was the South Carolina state treasurer from 1940 until his death in 1966.
This coed traditional residence hall houses 531 students. Building amenities include a computer lab, a newly renovated study lounge, a Student Success Center satellite office, as well as the Bates Diner, an all-you-can-eat dining facility.
13 The Roost
Located next to the Carolina Softball stadium, The Roost opened in 1989. It previously served as the residence hall for members of the male athletic teams.
The Roost is a coed suite-style residence hall that is home to 188 students. Each two-bedroom suite houses four residents and is connected by a bathroom and living room. Residents can also enjoy a lounge and community kitchen on the first floor and have access to a 24-hour computer lab.
14 East Quad
Located across Blossom Street from the Bull Street Garage, East Quad was built in 2000 and is home to 443 students. This apartment-style residence hall provides students with their own kitchen, but is also convenient to the dining facilities in the Russell House University Union.
Most apartments feature four private bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and kitchen. Building amenities include a classroom and laundry rooms. Additionally, East Quad's complex is built around a landscaped courtyard where residents can enjoy the warm South Carolina weather.
15 South Tower
Centrally located, South Tower is a coed, traditional-style residence hall. The garden behind South Tower commemorates Andrew Moore, acting president of the university from 1908 to 1909 and 1913 to 1914. Mr. Moore was also head of the department of biology and geology in the early 1900's.
Housing 423 students, this 18-story residence hall features a kitchen on each floor and several common spaces on the first floor. It is also close to many dining facilities in the Russell House University Union.
16 Patterson Hall
Patterson Hall is an all-female residence hall centrally located across Bull Street from the Russell House University Union. Built in 1967 and first called South Building, the name was changed to Patterson Hall in honor of Dr. William Patterson who served as the twenty-fourth president of the University.
Renovated in 2010, Patterson Hall reopened as a suite-style residence in August 2011. Housing 544 students, building amenities include new furnishings, a kitchen on each floor, common spaces throughout the building and a cyber lounge on the first floor.
17 Women's Quad
Originally built between 1939 and 1959, the Women's Quad includes three residence halls: McClintock, Sims and Wade Hampton. One of the loveliest spots on campus, the Women's Quad will undergo extensive renovation in May of 2013, reopening in August of 2014. The renovation will include a conversion to suite-style arrangements and will seek to earn LEED certification.
18 820 Henderson St.
Laden with Southern charm, 820 Henderson St. is a coed residence located next to Gambrell Hall in the north area of campus. This small, tight-knit community houses only 20 residents in five two-bedroom apartments. Each apartment features hardwood floors, spacious living and dining rooms, as well as a washer and dryer.
A visual landmark on the university campus, Capstone is a coed residence hall located close to many academic buildings. Offering breathtaking views of the campus and Columbia, the 18th floor is home to the Top of Carolina, a revolving restaurant open to the public throughout the year. The rotating platform and mechanism was acquired from an exhibit at the New York World's Fair.
Housing 579 residents, Capstone features a classroom on the first floor, community kitchens, as well as the Gibbes Court dining hall that is available to all students. This suite-style residence hall is also home to the Capstone Conference Center.
20 Columbia Hall
Columbia Hall is a coed residence hall in the north area of campus. Its name was retained from the old Columbia Hotel which the university purchased to use as a residence hall in the years of rapid enrollment during the late 1960's.
Columbia Hall houses 486 students in suite-style arrangements throughout 11 floors. Building amenities include a kitchen and a study on each floor, as well as a wellness center on the lower level. Home to a Student Success Center satellite office, Columbia Hall is close to many academic buildings.
Located behind the historic Horseshoe, Thornwell was the first residence hall to be built in 65 years when it opened in 1913. It was named to honor James Thornwell who served as the sixth president of South Carolina College. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees until his death and served on the faculty for many years.
This coed apartment-style residence hall houses 60 students in two- and three-bedroom apartments that include a bathroom, living room and full kitchen. The residents of Thornwell are just a short walk across the Horseshoe from the Russell House University Union.
Built in the 1930's as part of an extensive building program, Maxcy was originally planned as a student union building and housed administrative offices for several years. Named after the first president of the university, Reverend Jonathan Maxcy, the residence hall's common spaces were renovated in 2012.
Located directly behind the historic Horseshoe, Maxcy's amenities include a spacious lobby, classroom and demonstration kitchen. 182 coed students reside in suite-style arrangements throughout four floors and enjoy the convenience of living in the heart of campus.
23 Visitor Center
Make South Carolina your home and schedule a campus tour today at sc.edu/visitorcenter or call (800) 922-9755.
24 Cliff Apartments
Cliff Apartments, built in 1974, is located behind the Blatt PE Center in the south area of campus. Cliff Apartments prides itself on the diversity of its residents as it is home to undergraduate, graduate and students with families.
This coed apartment-style residence hall features one- and two-bedroom apartments. Each apartment includes a bathroom, living room and full kitchen. Undergraduate apartments are fully-furnished. The residents of Cliff Apartments also enjoy the all-you-can-eat Bates Diner located next door in Bates House.
View an accessible version of our Virtual Tour here. If you need additional assistance, please contact University Housing at 803-777-4283.