Plugging Into Campus in the Sophomore Year
Despite the academic and personal challenges of that can be found in the sophomore year, it is very important to still be connected to campus. The University of South Carolina offers many opportunities for students to actively participate both on campus and in the community. Below are examples of high-impact activities designed to enrich the undergraduate experience.
- The Office of Undergraduate Research can help students find many opportunities to engage in undergraduate research with a focus on faculty-student mentorship.
- Learn more about research funding opportunities like Magellan Scholars and Undergraduate Research Mini-Grants.
- Participate in Discovery Day, a one day opportunity for undergraduate students to present their research.
- Service-Learning integrates meaningful community service with academic coursework. Check out the listing of courses.
- Community Service Programs provides an abundance of information on ways you can be involved in the University community and the city of Columbia (also sign up for the service listserv).
- Joining a student service organization brings together like-minded students on a mission to serve those in need.
Domestic Study Away and Study Abroad
- Participating in Domestic Study Away or international Study Abroad is a great way to broaden any student’s horizons and have the experience of a lifetime.
- Explore potential international or domestic options by country, program, city, or even subject!
- The sophomore and junior year are opportune times to explore new environments, so plan ahead! Be sure to keep up with dates and deadlines in order to not miss an amazing opportunity.
- Student Government provides students with experience dealing with the rigors of the political arena. Find applications for positions on the website.
- Student Organizations presents a user-friendly web page geared towards student success in finding an organization for any interest. Can’t find the organization that fits the bill? Create one using easy student organization guidelines!
- Leadership Programs can help students create positive social change and live with integrity. Learn how to maximize leadership potential!
- Use the Student Engagement Plan to optimize involvement on campus and connect outside of the classroom experiences with those in the class!
- Intramural Sports encourage fun and fair play while still maintaining exciting levels of competition.
- Group Exercise classes are a fun and motivating atmosphere with a variety of workouts for all levels of fitness.
- Outdoor Recreation is a great place to explore the outdoor environment through weekend trips or to the on campus climbing wall!
- Club Sports is an opportunity to compete against other University Club teams and complete in tournaments.
- Healthy Carolina and Tobacco Free USC were both implemented to help students be healthy in mind, body and spirit.
- The Office of Student Conduct ensures all students stay safe on campus. Students can become involved through the Carolina Student Judicial Council.
At the University of South Carolina, it is important to be a responsible Carolinian, read the Carolinian Creed and browse the Carolina Community if there are questions about policies and rules here at Carolina.