AmeriCorps for Students
AmeriCorps* VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America. Today, 6,500 AmeriCorps VISTA members serve on over 1,000 projects throughout the United States. For more information, visit the AmeriCorps website.
What is South Carolina Campus Compact?
SC Campus Compact sponsors AmeriCorps* VISTAs on member campuses throughout the state. SCCC VISTAs respond to the needs in the community surrounding the college or university they serve and mobilize student volunteers to make an impact both on campus and in the community. The Office of Student Engagement, in partnership with the Office of Community Service Programs, recruits AmeriCorps Summer Associates in the late spring semester to work full time with local non-profit agencies in the Columbia, SC area. These positions are for undergraduate or graduate students seeking an opportunity to serve their community in a greater capacity.
What do AmeriCorps Summer Associates typically do?
- Identify local poverty-related community needs, specifically focusing on promoting health and wellness
- Facilitate programs that impact low-income populations
- Build campus-community partnerships
- Conduct community education, outreach, and awareness related to the project
- Build capacity and sustainable programs at their host campuses
Where do AmeriCorps Summer Associates typically serve?
VISTA members serve directly with non-profit organizations or agencies in Columbia, SC such as:
- St. Lawrence Place
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands
AmeriCorps Summer Associates (funded completely through CNCS grant money) are typically eligible for:
- $1,200 education award
- Summer living allowance of approximately $1,500
- Commitment to community service, service-learning, and social justice
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Agree to serve 8 weeks (56 days), beginning June 2015
- Be a current UofSC undergraduate student
How to Apply
Applications are due on March 16, 2015. You will find the application here and additional information here. For more information please stop by the Office of Student Engagement or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org