Peer Leader Assessment
The Office of Student Engagement has a strong focus on the assessment of the peer leader experience. Since 2008, PLAN has been working to understand the peer leaders at the University of South Carolina. Between focus groups and a detailed survey that is administered to all peer leaders each academic year, the knowledge about peer leaders on the Carolina campus has grown significantly.
Over 95% of students agreed that their peer leadership experience helped to:
- Increase their knowledge of University services
- Improve communication skills
- Increased their confidence in leading others in times of academic or personal difficulty
While over 90% of students surveyed agreed that their experience:
- Increased interaction with faculty
- Involved interacting with diverse groups
- Helped them hold themselves more accountable
Survey data show that students who increased their knowledge about University services correlated significantly with students having a positive experience, overall, on campus. The survey also showed that students who interacted with diverse groups correlated strongly with students' understanding and acceptance of different backgrounds, thus demonstrating the ideals of the Carolinian Creed.
: The 2013-2014 survey is set to be distributed in November 2013 to peer leaders and close in February 2014.