Blogging About the NSE Experience
All outgoing NSE students are required to keep a blog about their experience as a way to help reflect on their time away from USC. Some tips on how to blog are listed below.
What is a Blog?
A blog is short for web log. It is a series of entries to a site in chronological order. It’s similar to an online journal. Almost all blogs have a place where comments can be made.
Reasons to Start a Blog
- Your family, friends, and USC’s NSE staff want to know about your experience.
- Great way to keep memories and remember your time.
- Will encourage you to reflect on what you have been experiencing.
- Improve your writing and technology skills.
- Can use in a portfolio
- Place to post pictures and videos
- It’s Free!!!
- Blogger - www.blogger.com - provided by Google, creating an account will be your log-in to other Google services if you do not already have a Gmail account.
- WordPress - wordpress.com - choose a blog address and the same or different username
- Tumblr - www.tumblr.com - enter your email, a password, and your URL
- Xanga - www.xanga.com - only need to create a username
Think of a Catchy Title
- Gamecock in Guam
- South Meets North
- My Time in the Big Easy
What to blog about?
- Who you are?
- Where you are going?
- Why are you doing NSE?
- First Impressions
- Funny stories
- People you have met
- Sporting Events
- Local culture/Culture shock
- Regional food or slang
- Ways you see yourself growing
- Local attractions/sites/cities you’ve visited
- Things you miss from home or home campus
Make it your own!
- Find a template design that expresses you and/or the theme of your blog (Most blog sites have a wide variety of templates or you can Google “blog templates” to find sites that have unique templates to download)
- Add pictures and videos
- Add music
- Have “theme days” - i.e. “Tasty Tuesdays”, “What I’ve Learned Wednesdays”, “Translation Thursday”, “Flashbulb Friday”, Week in Review
Once you have a created your blog, email us the link (email@example.com). We look forward to keeping up with you! You might also want to consider continuing the blog up once you return to share about your transition back to USC and to stay in touch with all those new friends from your NSE host campus!
Check out these cool blogs from past NSE students
- Brianna at Westfield
- Mollee in Puerto Rico
- Shelby at Monterey Bay
- Caitlyn at NC State
- Hannah in Montana
- Kathleen in New York City
- Diana in California
- Julia in Wisconsin for the Spring
- Kelsey in Texas
- Ti’a in Arizona
- Aarti in Utah
- Joe in Louisville
- Katelyn in Los Angeles
- Paradise in Colorado
- Elyse Exploring Northern California
- Shana Outside of New York City
- Kecia in the Inland Empire
- Susan Exploring TEXAS
- Walking in Memphis with Keyona
- The Other side of the SEC… Mia at UGA
- Down by the Bay with Kira
- Carissia in Colorado
- Exploring South Florida with Caitlin
- SoCal with Rebecca
Current NSE student's blogs:
For more information on National Student Exchange and outgoing NSE student process, please contact us at 803.777.6731 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org