S.T.I.R.- Students Taking Initiative and Responsibility
What is STIR?
SSTIR is a brief alcohol and/or marijuana screening and intervention program designed to reduce high risk behaviors and potential harmful consequences of substance use. STIR is a partnership with the Office of Student Conduct and Substance Abuse Prevention & Education (SAPE).
STIR Coaches assist in exploring and identifying high risk behaviors to ultimately make healthy and responsible decisions as a Carolinian student. Students may be sanctioned to STIR by a conduct administrator due to a 2nd alcohol or 1st drug violation.
STIR is also available to students who voluntarily wish to explore their use and choices about substances.
How to set up your STIR Appointment
- After your hearing at the Office of Student Conduct, it is important that you contact the SAPE Office within 2 business days to set up your initial STIR appointment.
- If you do not schedule your appointment within 5 business days of your hearing, a hold will be placed on your account.
- If there is a hold on your account for more than 5 business days, and you still have not scheduled your initial appointment, then your hearing officer will be notified and you will receive a Failure to Comply.
- Once you schedule your appointment, you will receive an email with your scheduled appointment date and time as a confirmation.
- If you receive our answering service, please leave your name, phone number, a brief message and the best available time to contact you.
Expectations for the Appointment
- Please arrive to your STIR appointment 10 minutes early and bring your current and valid student identification card. Please plan to be at your initial STIR appointment for 1 hour.
- Our business office is located in the West Wing of the Russell House, Suite 33 in the Student Services Office.
- *NOTE: For STIR sessions, appointments are held in Russell House 218-E. Please report to this location for your appointment.
- Please plan to be at your initial STIR appointment for 1 hour.
- After your initial appointment, you will be billed a $100 fee that must be paid at the Bursar’s Office, located at 516/518 Main Street between Blossom & Wheat Streets and their office hours are Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- At the conclusion of your initial appointment, you will be scheduled for a 2nd appointment 2-3 weeks later.
- For the 2nd appointment, bring your student identification card and the STIR self-monitoring cards (which will be given to you in your first STIR appointment). Please refer to ‘What to Expect in STIR?’ for further details.
- If you need to reschedule, you must notify the SAPE Office at least 24 hours before your appointment, and the new appointment must be scheduled within 7 business days.
- A class conflict is the only acceptable reason for rescheduling an appointment.
- If you miss an appointment without notifying the SAPE Office, your hearing officer will be notified and a hold will be placed on your account. If you miss a rescheduled appointment, your hearing officer will be notified and you will receive a Failure to Comply.