Journalism and Mass Communications Community
About This Community
The Journalism and Mass Communications Community is designed to enrich the academic and social environment for students in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications at UofSC. The program encourages faculty-student interaction, leadership development, and engagement in academic and career development opportunities.
Students Who Call This Community Home
The targeted student population is students who have a strong interest in pursuing a career in Journalism and Mass Communications.
The Journalism and Mass Communications (JMCC) Living and Learning Community is designed to help students network, develop and explore any and all opportunities relating to the field of Journalism and Mass Communications while building an inclusive and developmental community.
How to Apply
- Access housing application on my.sc.edu.
- List the Journalism and Mass Communications as the first of your required top 5 Living Learning Community preferences.
- Submit housing application by paying $150 application fee no later than May 1, 2017.
- Housing priority is based on your learning community preferences and your date of application to the institution.
Linked Course Opportunities
Research shows that students who participate in linked courses within the learning communities are most likely to succeed academically and engage socially. Journalism and Information Science Majors applying to live in the Journalism and Mass Communications community can also apply to enroll in both a UNIV 101 and JOUR 101 course. JOUR 101 is a required course for first semester Journalism and Information Science majors. Students participating in linked courses will receive priority housing and course placement into JOUR 101 and UNIV 101. To apply please send a statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unique Community Experiences
- Have dinner with the Dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
- Visit student media tours.
- Focus on a specialized journalism project within South Tower residence hall (SOTO Experience Newsletter).
- Visit local news media station.