International House at Maxcy College
About This Community
The International House at Maxcy College develops global citizens for an increasingly interconnected world. In addition to housing both international and domestic students, Maxcy offers community sponsored activities that engage students in international affairs, foster cross-community dialogue, inspire students to explore new areas of interest, and nurture a sense of community among students of diverse backgrounds.
Students Who Call This Community Home
The International house at Maxcy College is home to the Maxcy Global Scholars community and other students (domestic and international) who are interested in international affairs, culture, and foreign language.
One of the chief components of Global Carolina, the Carolina International House at Maxcy College develops global citizens for an increasingly interconnected world. Maxcy offers community sponsored activities that engage students in international affairs, foster cross-cultural dialogue, inspire students to explore new areas of interest, and nurture a sense of community among students of diverse backgrounds. Maxcy’s integrated educational and social programming challenges residents to overcome traditional limitation of nation, culture, and language.
How to Apply
- Access housing application on my.sc.edu.
- List the International House at Maxcy as the first of your required top 5 Living Learning Community preferences.
- Submit housing application by paying $150 application fee no later than May 1, 2017.
- Housing priority is based on your learning community preferences and your date of application to the institution.
Linked Course Opportunities
Research shows that students who participate in linked courses within their learning community are more likely to succeed academically and engage socially. Students majoring in the College of Arts and Sciences applying to live in the International House at Maxcy College can also apply to enroll in both a UNIV 101 and ANTH 102 course. ANTH 102 is a Carolina Care requirement for all majors in the College of Arts and Sciences. These specific sections will be solely for College of Arts and Sciences Majors who are in the International House at Maxcy community. Students participating in linked courses will receive priority housing and course placement into UNIV 101 and ANTH 102. To apply please send a statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unique Community Experiences
- Visiting Fellows – World renowned scholars come and stay at Maxcy, while here they host a variety of programs.
- Tea Time – An intimate conversation hour focusing on a different topic each week.
- Cooking Demonstrations – Chefs cook different cultural cuisines in our demonstration kitchen.
- Language Learning Support – Opportunities to practice your language skills with people who speak it as their native language.
- Project Playlist – A weekly live radio show where a different guest brings a playlist from their home country.
Dr. David Snyder - Faculty Principal
Senior Lecturer in History
US History & Foreign Relations