The University of South Carolina offers admitted first-year students the opportunity to enroll in Common Courses, a program that allows students to take a University 101 (UNIV 101) course and a core first-year course in the College of Arts and Sciences with peers who live in their residence hall. Students will live in a designated residence hall with other students who will be enrolled in the same two courses for the Fall 2014 semester.
The goal for Common Courses is to assist students with their transition to college and provide a strong foundation for their Carolina experience. Common Courses supports the academic mission of the institution, while connecting students both within and beyond the classroom. Please note that your course selection will determine your residence hall assignment based on availability.
The Common Courses program at the University of South Carolina seeks to enhance students’ academic experience and persistence through intentional collaboration between academic departments and student affairs. University Housing and University 101 are invested in creating residential learning environments that provide opportunities to students both within and beyond the classroom.
- Increased opportunity for academic and social success as residents transition to the University of South Carolina
- Increased sense of belonging to the campus
- Access to a community of peers, faculty and staff dedicated to student success
- Participate in and create meaning of experiences within and beyond the classroom
- Guaranteed enrollment in UNIV 101 and a selected first-year academic course
The following goals will guide the Common Courses program. Students who participate in Common Courses will have the opportunity to:
- Cultivate peer relationships that foster residential community development
- Engage with faculty beyond the classroom
- Create residential environments that support peer-to-peer learning
For more information about Common Courses, contact Jason Steinas, Assistant Director of Residential Curricular Initiatives at 803-777-6343 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.