Look below to see student comments and feedback about
Academic Success services they’ve participated in while at the
University of South Carolina!
Have you attended a service listed below?
Provide feedback on your experience here!
About Academic Success Coaching
-My experience at ACE was a very good one. I would definitely feel comfortable going back for help for any reason.
-My ACE session provided me with valuable insight into my learning style and how to cope with text anxiety. Overall, I found my ACE session to be very helpful. I will use the studying tips associated with being a visual learner, and I will spread out my studying time so I will be more confident on tests.
-In the future, I plan to act upon these goals that I have set for myself, where I can become the best student that I can be. This meeting was an eye-opening experience that will help me while in school and in the workforce later down the road.
-The ACE center is a very good place to go when you need help with anything from time management to test performance.
-The ACE center is the perfect place to go if you feel you are trying to improve your study habits or improve your grades.
-My ACE Coach was very insightful and he helped me to realize my problems, how to fix them, and how to set goals for myself so that I can continue to do well in my classes.
-This meeting really helped me to realize that I don’t always have to rely on myself and that there are other people who can help me in most of the problems that I’m having.
-Overall, the meeting was successful. I felt that she was very interested in what I had to say and very concerned with seeing me succeed.
-I walked in rather unmotivated, hoping that it would not take long. Once I was there, I kind of enjoyed it and time flew by really fast. It was very informational and was definitely a good use of my time.
-I felt like I had been told all of these tips in the past, but somewhere along the way I forgot them.
About Student Success Center Tutoring
- Great job understanding what I was confused with, even though I was unsure of my own questions.
- He was great! He made us so comfortable speaking with him and created a relaxed atmosphere.
- He was very easy to talk to, very comforting, and very friendly!
- My tutor spends time to express her ideas so that the issues are thoroughly understood. She is a wonderful person. I wish I knew I could have gotten help a little earlier but I know I will be able to make a turn around.
- Very friendly and gave valuable comments
- Very professional and helpful
- A GREAT program! I'm glad I find out about it and can take advantage of it!
- Thanks for what you do.
About Supplemental Instruction (SI)
- Attending SI helped me gain a better hold on the material. I would attend class and do the homework. I would then attend SI and I would have such a greater understanding of the material. Going over the material again in a small setting reinforced everything we did in class. From SI I learned the importance of keeping up with work (not cramming before test) and the importance of understanding concepts. If I would have not attended SI, I feel I would have made a low B high C. I made an A in the class.
- Attending SI sessions helped me to better understand the material that was being taught. My SI instructor really broke it down into easy language.
- Because I was already studying on my own, SI was a great reinforcement. More than anything it was a reassurance that I was getting the help I needed to do well on exams.
- Going over the material once more with someone else’s perspective is helpful in developing my own interpretation and understanding of the material.
- I learned how to better take notes and organize them in a way that helped me to learn them. I also met people in SI that I became study buddies with and that helped me.
- I could ask more questions and get personal responses
- I don't think I would have been able to do half of the homework without SI. I tried to attend as many sessions as possible (usually more than one a week).
- I feel that the SI session was very helpful for me! It helped me understand the material more and I definitely felt more confident when taking the test. I strongly consider this session to anyone in any type of study. It's a great way to make sure you're prepared!
About Out of State and Transfer Mentors
- Mary Catherine was the best transfer mentor! If it wasn’t for her I don’t know how I would have done this. She was always there to answer questions for me and she even has a few other mentees on top of helping me.
- It’s good to know there are other students from your hometown or area..I’m glad I was a part of the out of state program, I met a lot of people the first few days I was here.
About the Out-To-Lunch Program
-He is more than a professor to me-he is my friend and my role model. He is someone I can look up to.
-Dr. Hickey teaches the Nursing 212 class that I am taking this semester. I thought it would be a great idea to get to know him because I will see him for the next four years of this program.
-I would take this opportunity up again to get to know other teachers in my major.
-Taking a professor out to lunch was certainly out of my comfort zone, but I am happy I did it!
-Out to Lunch is a great program at the University of South Carolina. I think it is a good opportunity to get to know one of your professors. That can always be helpful when you may need that extra point.
-The Out to Lunch program was a great way to get to know my English 101 teacher better and a great way to clarify what she expects out of my work.
-I believe that this was a good experience for me because I got to learn a little more about the person grading my tests and projects, and hopefully made a good impression.
-It was like having my own teacher conference, but outside of the classroom, which made it feel more relaxed. I also got to know my professor better and feel like I can relate to her more, which will most likely help me when I’m in her class.
-Out to Lunch was a great experience because it helped me see a new aspect in my professor that I had never seen. In addition, he promised he would remember my name when our final grades are determined, leaving me happy.
-I thought taking a professor out to lunch would be intimidating and awkward. I thought, “What in the world am I supposed to ask this man?” and “What can we possibly talk about for this long?” It turns out I learned a lot about my professor! We not only talked about his teaching career, but also about his personal life outside of school.
Provide your feedback on a program here!