Discussing Violations With Students
Faculty should attempt to discuss violations with students as part of the educational process in addition to referring the matter to the Office of Academic Integrity. This can happen via email, phone, or in person. Please be sure to document the conversation no matter the format. *If/when you have an initial conversation with the student to discuss the allegation:
What you MUST cover in the initial meeting with a student:
- Explain why you believe the student violated the Honor Code and share all available evidence.
- That you are required to refer this matter to the Office of Academic Integrity per Honor Code policies.
- Inform the student of the option to resolve the alleged violation through a hearing before the College Committee, after a referral to the Office of Academic Integrity.
- If the student asks what the potential outcomes are if he or she assumes responsibility for the alleged violation, inform the student:
a) what the recommended sanctions to the Dean will be
b) what the academic penalty for the course will be.
- Explain that this meeting will be documented with the Office of Academic Integrity, regardless of the outcome, and that the matter will be referred to the OAI for investigation as required by the Honor Code policies.
* Faculty members should refrain from predicting the disciplinary conclusion of the case.
* Faculty members retain control over all academic evaluation of the work and/or academic sanctions.
What you MAY want to cover in the initial meeting with a student:
- Build rapport with the student.
- This is the opportunity to have an educational moment with the student, and discuss the broader implications of cheating (impact to you, other students in the class, etc).
- Direct students to the website, specifically the Student FAQ’s at:www.sc.edu/academicintergrity/studfaq.html
- If students have questions about the Academic Integrity process, tell them to contact the Office of Academic Integrity at firstname.lastname@example.org or 777-4333.
At the conclusion of the initial meeting with a student, one of the following should occur:
a) If the Student ADMITS to violating the Honor Code, all information (the initial report, the academic penalty - if any - and the faculty member’s recommendation for sanctioning) must be forwarded to the Office of Academic Integrity for processing. The OAI Incident Report form should be utilized for this.
b) If the Student DENIES violating the Honor Code, all information must be forwarded to the Office of Academic Integrity for processing. The OAI Incident Report form may be utilized for this.
If you have any questions about meeting with students or the process, please contact the Office of Academic Integrity at 777-4333 or at email@example.com.